Tuesday, December 23, 2008

2008 Christmas Card

This is Ben. I don't plan to do most of the blogging on our family news blog. However, for Christmas this year, I decided to help Becca get started with our blog, since I had already done a kind of silly blog called "Anosmia Today". This was mostly just a farcical blog, based on the true fact that I'm losing my sense of smell for certain odors.

Anyway, for our Christmas card this year, I created a montage of photos that were taken throughout the year. I figured that my inaugural post for this new family blog that would jump-start Becca's participation in the blogosphere would be a legend to the card, so here you go (this post is a whole year's worth, so it's really long!):


(click to zoom)

I have numbered the individual photos in the montage for reference.

----------------------------------
Photos 1-8 - Our Mexico trip last Christmas. We decided to spend Christmas break at the Las Palomas Resort in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, Mexico last year. We met my parents, Kathy, Heather, and the Galbraiths were there, and we had a delightful Christmas on the beach. Christmas morning was pretty perfect lighting, and I got to shoot some pretty cool photos. Here are a few of my favorites:

We brought down gifts for this orphanage. They were donated by the kids at Kathy's school, and Kathy coordinated the Sub for Santa.

Grandma and Grandpa Larson with Hannah on Christmas morning.

Justin on Christmas Morning 2007

Becca on the beach

I love this shot of Justin and Sarah. It captures youth and the joy of the beach.

This shot is also one of my favorites.


----------------------------------
Photo 9 - This is a photo of me when we shot pictures at Utah Lake with our Imagine Learning Photography Club. We've been going for 2+ years now, and have really had a lot of fun together. In this photo taken by Aimee White, I was testing the ice.



----------------------------------
Photos 10-15 - We went to Moab with Zach & Sarah, Camille & Spencer, and all the cousins during April 2008. We visited Arches National Park, Dead Horse Point, the pool at the hotel, and Justin and I went to the golf course.


Hannah, Lucy, and Sarah at the first arches we visited--the North & South Windows.

The whole group at South Window Arch

I was so proud of the kids for marching right up to Delicate Arch. It's about 1.5 miles to the top. Sarah was pretty proud of making it there.

Hannah with Delicate Arch in the background. To give an idea how big the arch is, that's a person standing right underneath it back there.

All the kids at the top. Even Isaac made it to the top by himself. They were all troopers.

This is one of my favorite shots of the year. This was at the custom t-shirt shop on Moab's Main Street. I highly recommend this shop if you're ever in Moab.


----------------------------------
Photo 16 - I took this at Hannah's Hershey Track Meet in April

----------------------------------
Photo 17 - Taken at Thanksgiving Point's Museum of Natural History when Micah and Jacob were visiting with their kids. We went with the Bradshaws, the Powells, and all the cousins. Here are a couple fun shots:
Grace, Sarah, and Lucy



----------------------------------
Photo 18 - This is my Grandpa, my dad, and me on the day I was ordained/sustained a bishop.



We also shot a whole family shot.


----------------------------------
Photo 19 - We went on a hike with Bruce, Louisa and their kids on a hike behind Mt. Timpanogos to Stuart Falls.

Me and the kids at the lower falls.


Top to bottom - Hailey, Annika, Sarah, Justin, Hannah


Hannah pausing on the hike back down.


----------------------------------
Photos 20-23 - These shots were taken on the way to South Dakota this July. On the way there, we stopped at Martin's Cove and did a little mini handcart trek. (It was only about an hour long.) The photos of Sarah and Justin were taken at our hotel in Rapid City, where we spent the night both going to and coming from South Dakota. It had a very fun water slide.

The family on the trek. You can kind of see the Bradshaw's covered handcart in the background. At this point, we were just about a half mile from the starting point.

Hannah, Sarah, and Justin riding in the handcart. As long as they were above the wheels, they were surprisingly easy to carry. Not that I'd like to go over mountains with them, or anything.

Justin at the pool at our hotel in Rapid City. Becca took this shot while he took a brief rest before going back up on the slide about another 20 times.

Sarah by the pool taking a rest.



----------------------------------
Photos 24-25 - Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I had to choose from about 500 photos that we took in South Dakota. Honestly, I wish I could have inserted some videos (someday cards will have video built-in.) We had so much fun in Brookings at the Fesler homestead. We love to go there.



This treehouse was originally built by Matt and Micah. The rest of the kids all kept it alive through the years. This is the second generation to take advantage of it. The girls made a club, and it was named something like "The Eagles' Nest Club" or something like that.


Hannah basically lived on this quad the whole time she was there. She was very good at riding it herself. She wasn't allowed to go faster than 15 mph.


Most of the kids weren't allowed to ride the quad by themselves. They were all allowed, however, to drive the riding lawn mower with as many kids as would fit in the towed trailer.


The trolls from the enchanted forest (otherwise known as the shelter belt) paid a visit to explain safety in their woods.


This has become a bit of a tradition. At least once every summer, we all go into the pool fully clothed.


We also took family pictures while we were there. Here is most of the extended Fesler Family.


----------------------------------
Photos 26-27 - On the trip home from South Dakota, we visited Mount Rushmore. We stayed at the same hotel with the water-slide and also stopped at Independence Rock in Wyoming.


The Larsons at Mount Rushmore August 1, 2008

Justin at Mount Rushmore


Here's the group right before the hike to the top.


The top of Independence Rock in WY


Photo 28 - This was taken at Squaw Peak about a week or so after returning from SD. David had just arrived to live here, and he took this shot. We have loved having David and Seth here in Utah.


----------------------------------
BYU Football - This photo didn't make the final cut for the card, but each fall, BYU football plays a prominent part in our lives.
Sarah at the Cougar Kickoff with the best player on our team - Austin Collie


----------------------------------
Photo 29-31 - These were all taken in Malad, ID on two seperate trips. The first two were taken on the trip where Zach, Spencer, and I helped Papa Ron put a roof on their home there. 31 is from our East Bay 3rd Ward campout, where we camped on the Fesler 5 acres in New Canyon.





----------------------------------
Photo 32 - Hannah horse riding at Misty's house in Mapleton.

----------------------------------
Photo 33 - After the Imagine Learning Management Retreat in Park City, families were invited to ride the Alpine Slides and the Alpine Coaster. Becca and Sarah took this shot from the lift, I believe.

----------------------------------
Photo 34-35 - The kids all joined the swim team (UV Rays) this fall. When they started, they couldn't really even do the freestyle well. By their 3rd meet, they each had all taken 15 seconds or more off their original times. Justin and Sarah are very good at the backstroke. Hannah's best stroke is the freestyle.

----------------------------------
Photo 36 - Justin was just goofily posing at Sarah's birthday party in November. James snapped this shot.

----------------------------------
Photos 37-40 - Disneyland!!! We did our traditional, every-other-year trip to the Magic Kingdom with the Lees and the Barnards the week before Thanksgiving.


Bear River Rapids - the first day, it was just Becca and I and the kids.


Splash Mountain on our first day at Disneyland



We had our traditional family talent show with the Lees and Barnards. The kids prepared skits, and we had a delightful time watching them. This was a talent prepared by Ashton that turned into a whole family dance.


Our first day with the Lees, and our second day at Disneyland with the Barnards. This is Monday morning.


Inside Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters


Outside Mr. Toad's Wild Ride


The family with Buzz Lightyear


I love this shot of Hannah, Annika, and Sarah. It was taken in the line for the best ride at either park--Toy Story Midway Mania


Justin and I on Bear River Rapids. We went on this ride a lot.


Becca and Justin on Flik's Flyers


The kids with Minnie Mouse. We didn't see that many characters this time, but it was OK because the kids are kind of getting past that stage. They are loving the rides more than the characters now.

Congratulations!!! You made it to the end!!!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome Ben. I am very impressed and will look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am so glad you started one, they are so great to see what everyone is up to. One of my favorite pictures has to be the one Becca took of Justin at Rapid City- what a little heart breaker! You guys have such a fun family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this blog is no Anosmia Today, but good nevertheless. :)

    Great job on the photos and card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben wishes I would loose my sense of smell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO fun to catch up on the past year in the lives of the Larsons! Hopefully I'll get a chance to see you guys sometime in 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a small world, Ben! Aimee White and I grew up in the same ward in OH...of course I was friends with her older brothers & sisters, but what a surprise to see you are friends!
    It's fun to see your kids so grown up! I think the last time I saw you - (at Hires in Provo about 1997/1998?) you only had Hannah & Sarah.

    ReplyDelete